Familiarize Yourself with ENERGY STAR® and ProVia's Certified Doors and Windows
The ENERGY STAR Program was created by the U.S. Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Agency to make it easy for consumers to choose the most energy-efficient products. With the help of ENERGY STAR and NFRC, we are able to accurately compare and show the benefits of our energy-efficient doors and windows so that you can make informed product choices. The energy performance ratings of all ENERGY STAR Certified doors and windows are independently tested and certified according to the test procedures established by NFRC.
ENERGY STAR Label
As the trusted, government-backed symbol for efficiency, the ENERGY STAR label identifies NFRC certified U-Factor and where applicable, Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) ratings which meet or exceed minimum qualification criteria. All qualifying ProVia doors and windows will have an ENERGY STAR label.
ENERGY STAR is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy-efficient products and practices.
NFRC (National Fenestration Rating Council) is a non-profit organization that administers independent rating and labeling system for energy performance of windows, doors, skylights, and other attachment products.
SHGC (Solar Heat Gain Coefficient) is a measurement of how much of the sun's heat is transmitted through the window or door. It is best described in terms of a ratio; where 1 is the maximum solar heat gain that comes through a window and 0 is the minimum. A window that has a SHGC of .3 will allow 30 percent of the sun's heat to pass through. Whether you want a higher or lower number will depend on your goal. A product with a low SHGC will help to block heat and reduce cooling loads in hot weather; a product with a high SHGC will be more effective at harnessing solar heat in cold weather.
U-Factor is the measurement used in determining the ability of different structural components (such as windows) to conduct heat. U-factor can tell you how well windows will hold in heated or cooled air. The lower the number is, the better.
Visible Transmittance is the percentage of the visible light transmitted through a particular piece of glass. Visible light is the part of the solar energy spectrum that we can see.
What Makes our Entry Doors Energy-Efficient?
Polyurethane Core reduces energy loss ComfortTechTM Warm Edge Glazing System measurably improves thermal performance High-Performance, Heat-Resistant Window Trim is warranted not to warp, crack or pull away from the door, even in sunny or higher temperature areas Energy-Efficient Q-Lon Weatherstripping runs along top and sides of the door and interlocks with Q-Lon corner seal for the most efficient seal you'll find for keeping moisture, air and dirt out of your home
All ProVia entry doors can be ENERGY STAR certified, depending on the glazing system you choose.
- All entry door systems without glass are ENERGY STAR certified.
- All entry door systems with decorative glass are ENERGY STAR certified except for Tuscany. Tuscany glass is designed to deter burglaries and storm damage therefore does not meet ENERGY STAR requirements.
- All entry door systems with external or internal grids or privacy glass are ENERGY STAR certified unless the glass chosen is ComforTech DCTM and is a half-lite or larger.
- All entry door systems with internal blinds are ENERGY STAR certified unless the glass chosen is ComforTech DCTM without grids.
ENERGY STAR Certified Patio Doors
- Sill-reinforced with galvanized steel and patented water draining system
- Strong multi-chamber profiles and 5 7/16" frame depth offers great thermal efficiency
- ComforTechTM warm edge glazing system with low-E and Argon or Krypton gas
- Triple weather stripping at side stiles and 3-point contact weather stripping at meeting stiles improve insulation, virtually eliminating air infiltration
ENERGY STAR Certified Windows
- All weather stripping consists of woven pile with Mylar center fin bonded .187" or .270" wide backing or a flexible vinyl to minimize air infiltration.
- All inserts are equipped with a cam action sweep lock and keeper, adding compression to the meeting rail for maximum protection against air infiltration
- Multiple panes offer even greater energy efficiency. Our windows are available in double or triple panes.
- ComforTech™ Warm Edge Glazing System featuring Super Spacer® offers you reduced heat loss, warmer glass temperature and reduced interior condensation.